Monday, December 10, 2007

Packages received! Now I can post!

So for my group of friends that I affectionately refer to as "the Spammies" or my "Spamily", I made some cute little altered domino Christmas ornaments.







I would love to tell you who makes the stamp I used, but it has LONG been buried in the Christmas avalanche of projects and will likely not be seen again until Spring! I sanded the blank side of the domino and then stamped the image in Black StazOn. The red and green are colored with Sharpie Markers and the grey is silver glitter pen. The beverage is Dazzling Diamonds glitter sprinkled over glue from a Quickie Glue Pen. The ribbon is from Michael's (it was wired, but I pulled the wire out) and is secured around the domino with 1/8" super sticky tape or "red liner" tape that I get from PennyWise Arts. They have an AWESOME selection of widths of this indispensable adhesive, reasonable prices and ship FAST! I added beads at the top and bottom for a little more "bling" and dabbed a little Crystal Effects around the holes for added measure. The numbered side of the domino is covered with a piece of patterned paper. This is my first time altering dominoes and will not be my last. They are a fun fast project.

Of course, now I needed something to put them in..... I scored some little tins at Michael's this summer on clearance for some ridiculously low price and they have been sitting, waiting for me to do something with them. (All papers, ribbon and inks used to decorate the tin are ©Stampin' Up!, as are the rhinestone brads.) I painted the tops white and then dusted them with Dazzling Diamonds while the paint was still wet for some added BLING!



I wrapped them in Always Artichoke Prints Designer paper and added 1/4" Real Red Grosgrain for the trim. Using my Crop-a-Dile I punched a hole through the tin and added a Fire Rhinestone brad through both the tag and the tin. The tag is from one of the retired tag sets and is stamped in Real Red craft ink on Whisper White and then layered onto Always Artichoke.

The Star on the top is done using the Large and Small Tag punches, vellum and a Quickie Glue Pen. You really need a fine tip glue applicator for this - makes it sooooo much easier! Here are instructions on how to make one. Searching the SCS Gallery, a lot of folks have done these with a double star, but since I was making 10 of them, a single layer was all I could muster! The center is a glass pebble using Gold Stickles to glue it down.


I filled the tin with shredded paper fill (WalMart) and then topped a little York Peppermint Patty with the scallop circle punch layered with Garden Green and Real Red circles as a gift card. The scallops are accented with a red glitter pen.



So that was my big project I have been working on for a while. The family ornaments are almost finished... I decided to add some little flat back rhinestone crystals to them... 4 on the snowflake side (1 in the center of each of the small snowflakes) and then 2 red ones on the sentiment side on the center of the little swirls between the words. It was a nice touch, but now I have them spread out all over my table again while the glue dries since I can only do one side at a time. SIGH. Maybe tomorrow I will actually get the Circle Journal done. I'll save the tale of today's embellishment odyssey for then.....

1 comment:

MAMA, MOCHA and JOSIE said...

WOW!! no, DOUBLE WOW!!
Those are adorable.
Guess who owns a gazillion "TINS" that size and other sizes? Tall, short, round, square, and more?

ME?? I had no idea or thought of painting them. They've been sitting here for a couple of years and I've done nothing with them. Wouldn't they make the perfect container for a GIFT CARD perhaps?

And I mean I have a gazillion of them. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Great work as always - keep on sharing!!